asking for consent, and a two-click solution
With the help of a so-called two-click solution, it is basically possible for the website operator, as joint controller with the video platform operator, to obtain the consent of the visitors.
- A preview of the external content is first displayed – without transmitting the IP address, browser information or other personal information to third parties.
- Only when visitors actively click on the preview, for example to watch a video, will their data be transmitted.
If website operators embed third-party videos from commercial video platforms or third-party websites without joint responsibility according to Art. 26 GDPR, the two-click solution should be used in the following variant:
- First, there should be a preview with a reference to the following external content is displayed.
- This notice should make the visitor understand that when the embedded video is played, the platform operator, for example, receives information about who has just accessed which website and that a link to existing data is possible.
- Only when visitors actively click on the preview, for example to watch a video, may the video platform operator or third parties receive the IP address, browser information or other personal information.